Being Canada’s largest province, the french-speaking land of Quebec draws in plenty of visitors year after year.
From old Quebec, a Unesco World Heritage treasure, to stunning national parks and lively cities, there’s so much to do here you could easily spend weeks exploring the province.
And to add to the positives, Quebec is home to nine different species of magic mushrooms, making it the perfect place to experience shrooms in style.
Are Shrooms Legal in Quebec?
In line with Canadian law, magic mushrooms are not legal in Quebec. They fall under the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act, which means it’s illegal to grow, sell, or consume shrooms.
Recently, the law has made exceptions for people who want to take psilocybin for end-of-life treatment, and purchasing shroom spore kits is allowed.
Many people in Canada and across the world are interested in how psilocybin can affect us when it comes to health, and in particular, mental health conditions such as anxiety or depression.
The hope is that with more research, the strict rules around magic mushrooms might change.
Where to Buy Shrooms in Quebec
Although the province is home to nine different species of shrooms, it can take a lot of time and effort to find them in the wild.
Instead, using an online dispensary is the safest, quickest, and most convenient way of getting your hands on some shrooms. Not only do online dispensaries allow you to order from home, but they will also deliver within days and use discreet packaging.
Also, you can take advantage of all the different species they have online, and the range in products such as teas, edibles, and microdosing options.
Online dispensaries also offer lots of practical and informative advice on magic mushrooms, so you can learn about the different potencies and recommended dosage amounts.
Magic Mushrooms in Montreal
Whether your interest lies in sports, art, food, or fashion, Montreal has it all.
With an extensive history and a mix of cultures, it’s the perfect place to explore during a shroom trip. Make sure to check out Old Montreal, the Notre-Dame Basilica, or go wild and watch a hockey game.
Whatever you decide to do, Montreal won’t disappoint. It’s a vibrant city that draws you in, so you won’t be able to help but marvel at all the attractions and sights.
Magic Mushrooms That Grow in Quebec
Here are the nine species which grow in Quebec. If you do plan to hunt for shrooms yourself, be aware that you may also come across poisonous mushrooms, so always use a trusted guidebook.
- Gymnopilus speciosissimus – Look for these shrooms in August and September. They’re usually found growing on decomposed hardwood.
- Gymnopilus viridans – The Gymnopilus viridans is a very rare type of magic mushroom, which usually grows on coniferous wood.
- Panaeolus cinctulus – Also known as ‘banded mottlegill’ and ‘weed Panaeolus’. They tend to grow on compost piles, fertilized lawns, and occasionally on horse dung. The best time to search for Panaeolus cinctulus is after rain, during spring and fall.
- Pholiotina cyanopus – Pholiotina cyanopus can be found in North America, Europe, and Asia. It can be found in fields, lawns, and grassy areas.
- Panaeolus olivaceus – This small brown magic mushroom is a common shroom found in many places. It can be found in late summer all the way through to December. It is popularly found across North and South America and tends to grow in grassy areas.
- Gymnopilus luteus – Commonly known as ‘Yellow Gymnopilus’ due to its bright yellow color. Gymnopilus luteus tends to grow on dead hardwood trees, between June and November.
- Psilocybe aztecorum – The best time to look for Psilocybe aztecorum is from August to November. They are usually found in woodlands, so look out for decaying dead wood, leaves, sticks, and debris.
- Psilocybe semilanceata – Also known as ‘liberty cap’. It grows in grasslands, such as meadows, pastures, and lawns, and can be found in various provinces across Canada.
- Psilocybe caerulipes – This rare type of psilocybin mushroom is often nicknamed ‘blue-foot’ and can be found from late May through till December. .Look for them in deciduous forests, especially on decaying hardwood, plant matter and debris.
So whether you head to Montreal or check out other parts of Quebec, you can either look for mushrooms yourself or use the convenience of an online dispensary to make your trip come to life.
To enjoy your shrooms responsibly, always be cautious when picking magic mushrooms yourself. If in doubt, don’t eat them.