Certain strains of mushrooms may be popular psychedelic snacks, but that doesn’t mean everyone enjoys eating them. Instead, many are looking to magic mushroom tea to provide their beloved psilocybin, the key ingredient in the mushrooms. Many people complain about the taste and the nausea induced from eating the mushrooms, as well as it being a full day affair. By drinking mushroom tea the flavor is masked, your chances of getting nausea are reduced, and your trip duration is halved.
What is Magic Mushroom Tea?
Magic mushroom tea is the best alternative to eating mushrooms. It’s a safe, straightforward approach to take you to the psychedelic state you’re looking for. Psilocybin, a water soluble compound, can be extracted from the mushrooms with hot water therefore creating mushroom tea.
By drinking this tea you get all the benefits from eating shrooms while avoiding all the drawbacks of eating them. It’s easier to ingest, stomach, and plan for as your trip won’t last as long.
Mushroom tea brings a lot of options along with it. You can add various flavorings, experiment with different dosages and try different brewing methods to make your own mushroom tea.
Besides providing you with a fun trip, magic mushroom tea, specifically psilocybin, may provide other benefits. Consuming this chemical compound has been found have great potential medical benefits such as reducing anxiety, depression and even giving individuals a reset to their brain.
As well, most people describe having intense mystical experiences. If you’ve already experienced the potential of these potent fungi, maybe you want know how you can make some tea yourself.
How to Make Magic Mushroom Tea
First you need some magic mushrooms. There are many types of mushrooms you can find that contain psilocybin. You just need to get your hands on them. Assuming you have them, let’s look at the ingredients, dosage, and method for brewing the tea. Check out this video.
- Dried mushrooms
- 1 to 1 and a 1/2 cups of water per 3 grams
- A stove and pot to boil water
- A tea strainer (any strainer you have)
- Tea bag, ginger, honey, lemon (all optional)
- Dice/grind the mushrooms
- Boil water and let it sit for 1 to 3 minutes
- Place mushrooms in the tea strainer
- Pour in the hot water and let it sit for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring every few minutes
- Strain out the mushrooms and pour the tea into a glass
- Add your choice of tea bag, sugar, honey etc.
- Drink and enjoy!
- Repeat steps 1-5 as written above
- Squeeze one to two slices of lemon or equivalent lemon juice and let sit for 5 minutes*
- Drink and enjoy!
*By adding a small amount of lemon, or anything acidic, your trip will start sooner. Why? When you ingest psilocybin, your body converts it into psilocin which is the active chemical that causes the sensations you feel. Acid is what catalyzes this process so by adding lemon the process begins in the glass. Therefore your trip will start sooner!
- The finer you grind or dice your mushrooms, the more psilocybin can be extracted because more of it will be exposed to the hot water (more surface area = more extraction)
- You can use your grind/dice more than once to ensure you get all the psilocybin
- You can eat the leftover shrooms (although it almost defeats the purpose of making tea)
- Additives like tea bags and honey will help mask the flavor of the mushrooms
- Ginger will help combat any potential nausea
- Your trip onset will come sooner than if you ate them
- Do not use boiled water as it might destroy the psilocybin and thereby reduce the potency of your tea
The Best Ways to Have Shrooms in Tea
As brewing magic mushroom tea is very flexible, we can incorporate the mushrooms into the tea many ways. You can dice them, grind them up or chop them if you still want to eat some afterwards. Once prepared in your choice of style, all you need to do is mix them with hot (not boiling) water to extract the psilocybin.
We believe the best way to make shroom tea is by grinding your mushrooms before hand. As mentioned earlier, this means you can ensure the maximum extraction of psilocybin. Once your brew time is up, strain the tea and you’ll have a potent cup of shroom tea without any gross solids.
To go along with the ground mushrooms, we’ve found the best way to brew your tea is to add something acidic as shown in the second method above. Your trip will now have maximum potency, and start sooner.
Other Ways to Drink Magic Mushrooms
One other popular and effective method of drinking mushrooms is by making a lemon tek. It has all the same extraction principles, just a different method and slightly different results.
- Grind your mushrooms and pour into a glass
- Pour enough lemon juice to cover the ground mushrooms
- Let the mixture sit for 20 minutes while stirring every few minutes
- After the 20 minutes, add water and drink!
We can use lemon juice to extract the psilocybin because it is predominantly water. By using lemon to perform the extraction, the change of psilocybin to psilocin begins immediately. This means your mushroom concoction is ready to go immediately. It also means there is a very limited shelf life, so if you make this it’s best if you’re ready to drink it right away.
Be prepared for your trip to begin quick, hit hard, and end quicker.
The great thing about making a magic mushroom drink is that its simple and flexible! You can get creative in what you choose to make. As long as you follow the general extraction methods you can’t mess up. Here’s a couple more ideas to get you thinking about what you can make.
Iced Sweet Shroom Tea
- Extract psilocybin using hot water as described previously.
- Pour the tea in something you can cover and store it in the fridge
- Pull it out the next day, add some honey/sweetener and enjoy your refreshing psychedelic iced tea!
- Brew your tea as before with no additives
- Pour the tea into an ice tray and store in the freezer
- Once frozen solid, add to a blender with your favorite fruit and blend together.
Keep in mind, if your favorite fruit is acidic your shake will hit you quicker as your psilocybin will be converted to psilocin.
We’ve been over the benefits of magic mushroom tea, different brewing methods and their advantages. You now have the knowledge and capability to brew your own tea to best suit you. Be sure to keep in mind all the small tips and tricks to ensure a quality cup of mushroom tea. Be creative, stay safe, and enjoy your experience!