Magic mushrooms can be consumed in a variety of ways. It can be an act of trial and error to get it right, but luckily others have done the leg work so that you don’t have to! Whether you are new to shrooms or an experienced user, it’s helpful to know the options that are available to you before starting your magical journey.
Different Ways to Take Shrooms
Drinking shrooms is probably the most common way to consume psilocybin. Whilst most people resort to the traditional method of boiling the mushrooms in tea, there are many other ways to get creative. Lemon Tek is a drink where the shrooms are mixed with pure lemon juice. Acid breaks down the psilocybin and turns it into psilocin, and it’s this chemical which causes the effects to take place in our bodies.
Another fun way to drink magic mushrooms is to blend them in with a smoothie. Not only is it a healthy drink, but the flavors of the fruit should mask the taste of the mushrooms!
Good news foodies! Not only can you enjoy your favourite omelette or chocolate treat, you can get your trips along with it! Shrooms can be added to pretty much any food. Sprinkle the shrooms onto your pizza for a ‘pizza funghi’ with a twist or mix them in with your pasta dish. A handy tip is to make sure your food is rich in flavour. Mushrooms have a particularly strong flavor to them and could end up overpowering your dish if it lacks strong flavors of its own.
To lose none of the potency of the psilocybin, eating the shrooms straight from the ground (or packet) is a commonly used option. Simply clean your shrooms using water or a damp cloth to remove soil and dirt, and chew!
Smoking shrooms is an area still relatively unresearched. Those who do it find that they have a less potent trip, but the combination of mixing shrooms with weed creates a chilled out high. Some believe it’s a waste of time as the psilocybin breaks down under high temperatures, however it can also be used alongside other ways of consumption, for example having a shroom joint alongside a cup of shroom tea!
Best Way to Take Shrooms
The most common and widely accepted way to take magic mushrooms is to drink them in tea. It’s a simple, effective and quick way to consume them.
What you will need:
- A kettle
- Tea of your choice (some people prefer flavored teas)
- Crushed or chopped mushrooms
- Water strainer
- Work out how much tea you will need, depending on if you are alone or with company. Use the benchmark of one gram per cup of water, but this will depend on how much you are used to consuming and how strong you want it to be!
- Boil the water in the kettle, and while you are waiting, place your chopped or crushed mushroom into the teapot.
- Pour the boiled water over the mushrooms in the teapot. Leave them to sit for around 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour the water from the teapot into the mugs and add whichever tea infusions you prefer. Some people use the strainer to stop the mushrooms coming out so they can reuse them for a second batch of tea. Others prefer to eat the leftover shrooms.
As magic mushrooms have quite a particular taste to them, feel free to add spices to your tea to mask the flavor. Adding lemon is a common way to increase potency and improve the taste of the tea. 
How to Eat Magic Mushrooms
Eating shrooms requires no special skills. Ensure that they are clean, especially if they are fresh as they will have dirt and feces on them. Some users have described them as tasting nutty, while others say they have quite a sour or bitter flavor.
Because eating mushrooms raw can cause nausea, most users will have a chaser at hand in the form of food or a drink.
A fun alternative is to bake your shrooms in desserts. Baking for less than 30 minutes shouldn’t affect the potency of the psilocybin.
How can I make the most out of taking magic mushrooms?
If you haven’t experimented with psychedelics before, there are a few steps you can take to make sure you make the most out of your experience. Whilst it is impossible to fully control your trip, there are ways you can influence it.
- Avoid eating beforehand. Ingesting magic mushrooms can cause you to feel queasy, and eating right before you take them can make this much worse.
- Make sure you are in a comfortable environment. Wear comfy clothes and have well trusted companions around.
- Find a way to record down your thoughts! Having a record of these intense experiences will be a great reminder of your trip and also a way to keep track of what suits you.
- Go with the flow. If you start experiencing unusual feelings, just ride them out instead of resisting them and becoming anxious.
What happens if I start to experience a bad trip?
If a trip starts to head in the wrong direction, or you start to feel anxious, it is important to remain calm. Before taking shrooms, some people like to set an intention for how their trip will go. They can refer back to this during it and keep themselves grounded and aware that what they are experiencing is temporary. It also helps to have a trusted friend with you, who can calm you down and support you should you feel nervous.
There is no one right way when it comes to taking magic mushrooms. If you are new to the world of shrooms, start off small and don’t overdo it. Find what works for you, and then start experimenting and getting creative. If you take the right precautions, taking shrooms can be an invigorating, mind opening and spiritual experience.