British Columbia is home to some of the most spectacular scenery found in the world. From ski resorts to hiking trails in the mountains, there’s no shortage of nature to be experienced here.
And what some travelers to the province might not realize is that there’s also an abundance of natural psychedelics which grows locally, in the form of magic mushrooms.
So where can you find magic mushrooms in BC, and what types are available? In this article, we’ll look at the easiest ways to get your hands on shrooms and where’s best to enjoy them.
Are Shrooms Legal in British Columbia?
Around the world there are pushes for psilocybin, the key chemical found in magic mushrooms, to be explored. Small trials have already shown how the effects of psilocybin can help people who suffer from anxiety or depression, as well as a range of other conditions.
Under Canadian law, magic mushrooms fall under the ‘Controlled Drugs and Substances Act’. This means that if you’re caught growing, selling, or consuming shrooms, you could face prison time and a hefty fine.
In a more promising turn of events, the law was adjusted recently to allow end-of-life patients the right to use psilocybin. This indicates that the benefits of psilocybin are beginning to be recognized, especially in the medical world.
Where to Buy Shrooms in British Columbia
Although there are plenty of fresh, natural shrooms, the safest and quickest way to buy magic mushrooms in BC is by using an online dispensary.
From edibles to microdosing, online dispensaries provide many more options that you’d find in the wild, and you can enjoy your shrooms knowing that they’ve been produced in a safe, clean environment.
Magic Mushrooms in Vancouver
If Vancouver is on your list when visiting BC, you’re in for a treat. From its lively city center to beaches and local mountains, this city is perfect for a psychedelic experience.
Enjoy your shrooms in Vancouver Island by checking out the buzzing music scene or one of the numerous threats and art galleries, or just take a walk around the centre and soak in the sights.
If you are interested in finding shrooms naturally, look for grassy areas or forestland which is rich with deciduous wood or conifer mulch, but always be aware that some shrooms can look uncannily similar to certain poisonous mushrooms.
Magic Mushrooms That Grow in British Columbia
There are 15 different species of magic mushrooms that grow in BC. Here are the most popular types which can be found:
- Gymnopilus luteofolius – Commonly referred to as ‘‘yellow-gilled gymnopilus’, and can be found growing on dead hardwood.
- Panaeolus cinctulus – Also known as ‘banded mottlegill’. Look out for these on compost piles and gardens which have been well fertilized.
- Pholiotina cyanopus – The best place to find these are in grassy areas, fields or lawns.
- Psilocybe baeocystis – Also called ‘bottle caps’, ‘knobby tops’, ‘bluebells’, and ‘olive caps’, these shrooms have extremely high potency levels and can be found on ground bark, conifer mulch, and wood chips.
- Psilocybe cyanofibrillosa – Sometimes referred to as ‘blue-haired psilocybe’, this distinctive type of psilocybin grows from September-December. You can find them growing in soils rich with deciduous wood debris.
- Psilocybe cyanescens – Commonly called ‘Wavy Caps’. They are popular worldwide, but be careful as they can be mistaken for Galerina mushrooms, which are deadly to humans.
- Psilocybe fimetaria – Usually found between September- November, Psilocybe fimetaria is often found on cow and horse dung, or in grass or rich soils.
- Psilocybe pelliculosa – containing low levels of psilocybin, look out for these in clusters along forest roads and trails in coniferous woods.
- Psilocybe semilanceata – The famous ‘liberty cap’, these can be found growing in 17 countries across the world including Canada. The best place to find liberty caps BC is in grasslands such as meadows or pastures
- Psilocybe silvatica – Commonly found in coniferous forests, these shrooms tend to grow in clusters on trails and forest roads.
Other types less common include Pluteus brunneidiscus, Psilocybe subfimetaria, Psilocybe stuntzii, Pholiotina smithii , and Psilocybe sierrae.
So, whether you decide to hunt your own mushrooms or use a convenient magic mushroom dispensary in Vancouver or BC, taking shrooms here is guaranteed to be a great experience with plenty of variety when it comes to both shrooms and entertainment.
If you do plan to search for them in the wild, always use a trusted guidebook to make sure you don’t pick the wrong types of mushrooms.